Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I lost my purse.

This past weekend was Lunar New Year, so I had a four-day weekend! I had plans to relax, see a few friends, and just enjoy my time off. My Saturday and Sunday were good, up until Sunday night. Brighid, Sonya, Lisa, and I decided to go out on Sunday night. We hadn't been out in awhile, and we wanted a girls' night. We met up and took the subway to Apgujeong, a really neat area nearby. We found a pub that we'd never been to and decided to try it out.

After a few hours of eating, dancing, and having a good time, we decided to walk down the street about five minutes to another place. It's still freezing cold here (ugh!), so the roads are really icy. I don't really like to carry bags with me, so I had consolidated all of my things into a small clutch. As we were walking, I somehow dropped my bag at some point along the way. I realized it after only five minutes. Sonya and Lisa went ahead, and Brighid backtracked with me to help me look for my clutch. There was snow and ice everywhere, but we looked as well as we could. We even went back into the pub to see if I had actually dropped it on my way out. No such luck...

I gave the waiter Brighid's number in case they found my clutch, and then the four of us headed home. I've never lost a purse before, and I don't tend to lose things in general. I was really upset with myself, and kept beating myself up about it. In my purse was my cell phone, my Korean bank card, $100 in cash, and my Korean Alien Registration Card. :(

On Monday, everything was closed because it was the official holiday. Therefore, I couldn't go to the bank and cancel my card, I couldn't notify the phone company, and the Immigration Office was closed. I basically sat in a panic all day, feeling quite helpless. Luckily, Brighid came over to my apartment to keep me company for a few hours. We snacked on pizza and chatted. Then, we made our way over to Lisa's apartment and ate dinner and watched a movie together. Having something to do helped the time pass quickly.

Tuesday (yesterday), I woke up early and went straight to the bank. Fortunately, my card had not been used that whole weekend! I'm so thankful for that! They canceled my card and immediately gave me a new card with my name on it and everything! Then, I met up with Brighid, and she accompanied me to the Immigration Office, which was an hour away by subway. We were there for a few hours, so it was kind of a pain. I had to report my Alien Registration Card lost and apply for a new one. I'll have my new card in about three weeks. I also canceled my phone and ordered a new one. I should have one in about a week or so.

This whole situation could've been so much worse, and I'm really thankful that everything has been resolved quite smoothly! Korea is a very honest country, so I'm not worried about anything being stolen. I'm mostly upset about the inconvenience of it all. Fortunately, I have some really great friends who were willing to help me out this weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment