Saturday, January 19, 2013

JiHyun and Rebecca.

Today was a busy, but productive day for me. My body clock woke me up at 8:15am, and I was up and about by 8:30am. The early mornings I have during the week don't allow me to sleep in much on the weekends. Oh well...it gives me a good excuse to get some things done. That's good, right? :)

Right away, I jumped online and kept working on my teaching applications. I have decided to start applying for teaching jobs back home for Fall 2013. This has proven to be quite an involved process, with transcripts, recommendations, references, previous job history, fingerprinting, official test scores, certificates...it's exhausting! But, all this work will pay off for sure! And I'm lucky that my parents have been so willing to help me out, making copies and getting everything sent to the right places. (Shout out to them!!) :)

After working on that for a few hours, I quickly got ready and headed to the subway station. I met a girl, JiHyun, and her mom, Rebecca, at a coffee shop near work. (I ran into JiHyun on one of my breaks during the week. She was looking for someone to help her practice her English. Anyway, we got to talking, and I agreed to meet with her every week.) She's a nearly-fluent English speaker and wants to improve her writing skills. She wants to write papers and have me grade them and go over them with her. I'm really happy to do it! I was quite surprised today though, because I only intended on meeting her. However, her mom showed up and asked if she could get some help from me as well. Her mom, Rebecca, works in a company that writes English grammar books. Her writing is flawless, but she can't speak well. When she found out that JiHyun and I were meeting, she totally came along to see if she could meet with me as well. After the initial shock wore off, I agreed to meet with both of them. From now on, every Saturday, I'll meet with JiHyun at 1pm, and then with Rebecca at 2:30pm. That will work out quite nicely, I think!

After that, I went home and worked on my applications a bit more. I also did some research on how I could help my new "students." I came up with some really cool ideas, so I'm really excited! After that, I met up with Lisa and Brighid at a bar nearby. I hadn't eaten anything all day because I was so busy, so I was really grateful for the break! We ordered chicken, fries, and beer, which was a perfect combination. I finally had a chance to relax and breathe after a busy Saturday. Brighid left after awhile, and Lisa and I were able to catch up on each other's lives. Even though we work together, it's sometimes difficult to catch up and chat with each other. It was nice to have that chance tonight. I'm really tired now, but I got a lot of things done today. I'm really excited for the weeks ahead, and can't wait for a good night's sleep and church in the morning! It will be just what I need. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment